The Story of the Life of Cheyenne Straight From the Mouth of Cheyenne

March 17, 2019


My name is Cheyenne

I would like to tell everyone the story of my life so that maybe it will help to prevent other horses like me from having all of the hard times and more of the Good Life.

In August of this year I will be 44 years old and I have had a very long life for a horse and for that I can thank my good friends that have shown me true love.

Forty-three years ago I was born in the hot desert out west on land owned by the government and managed by the Bureau of Land Management.  When I was just two years old I was captured in a roundup and moved to a long term housing ranch in Oklahoma where there was beautiful grass and nice people to keep me healthy.  I lived there for several years and then I was placed up for adoption and was adopted by a lady that had a young daughter that wanted to compete in equine events.  I loved that little girl and I was so happy to have a home of my own and a little girl to play with.  They never told me that little girls don’t stay little forever.

My little girl and I competed in barrel racing and I had to work hard so she didn’t fall off as I ran real fast around those barrels and she received many beautiful ribbons for our playing together.  Then there were the times when we both were dressed up in real pretty clothes and paraded in front of crowds as she showed how well she could sit on my back as I pranced to make her stand out from the other little girls.

No one ever told me that little girls don’t stay little girls.  My little girl kept growing and as she grew she became heavier on my back but I never complained.  I loved that little girl and I would do anything to make her happy.

Then came the day when she came to me and told me she would be leaving me for a while as she went off to college so that she could could go into the Air Force and maybe fly in an airplane.  At first when she went to college she would come home often and we would play in the fields together.  Her mother would still take care of me and bring me my meals regular.  Then after a while her mother only came out for a couple minutes in the evenings to give me a little feed.  When she was with me she would be talking about how with the cost of college for my little girl that she was having a hard time being able to afford to feed and care for me.

I felt I should help my little girl in college so I would not eat as much and save some of my food for the next day to save her money.  Then her mother thought that since I was not eating as much that I didn’t really need as much since I wasn’t competing in sports anymore.

Then came the day that he mother decided that I would be better off out in the field and that I would have enough grass and there was water in the small pond to keep me happy.  It was not expected that the rains would cause flooding and the grass would not be there where I could eat it.  She probably didn’t know that the rain would cause my beautiful coat to get infected and my hair to fall out.  She probably didn’t know that the water and mud would make my feet get so soft that I wouldn’t be able to walk to the pond or what grass was there.  At least I will always believe that she just didn’t know that she was leaving me alone in a field where I would die a slow and painful death.

Then came the day that my stomach had so much sand in it that I could no longer digest any of the grass I could get to.  I had laid down in the mud expecting to never get up again.  But, a young man was driving by and he came out in the field to check on me.  He told me not to worry that he would call for help for me.  Then a short time later a Deputy Sheriff and a Doctor came into the field and the Doctor was checking over my body.  The Doctor said to save my life would take expensive surgery and I probably would not survive it anyway.  The the young man kept arguing with them and begged them to give me a chance and that he had a friend he wanted to call before they helped me to rest forever.  A few minutes later an old man came driving into the field pulling an old trailer and came up to me right away.  That old man lifted my head and placed his head on mine and he whispered in my ear that I did not need to be afraid.  He told me that he would take me to a place where they would make me well again.  Out of his truck I saw him getting ropes and stuff and a flat piece of wood that he put at the trailer right next to my head.  then he had the others help to get some straps under me that he hooked to those ropes.  He then brought a can with oil and poured that on that wood and on the floor of his old trailer.  I heard a funny sound and then I felt that rope pulling me into the trailer.

That old man then drove me to a place he called a hospital where a new Doctor came out and looked at me.  I heard that Doctor say that this horse is a mess and that I would need immediate surgery to remove that sand nd that the surgery would be very expensive.  That Doctor said that even if the sand was removed that it would take months before I would have any feet to stand or walk on again.  The Doctor said that the rain rot on my coat was the least of my problems.  The old man again lifted my head and asked me if I wanted to live with him and  I looked him right in his eyes and he understood that I was saying yes.  That old man handed the Doctor a small piece of plastic and told the Doctor that he would pay any amount to save my life.

After that a bunch of people came out and somehow they got me onto a table with wheels and I was taken inside the hospital where the next thing I knew I was laying on a dry comfortable bed with all kinds of things sticking out of my body and people standing all around.  I heard them talking and then that old man came in and said that he had a special place just for me where I could stand up without putting my weight on my feet while I grew new hooves.

For several months I was in this shelter where I could see outside and be around other horses that lived there and I was fed food three times a day and there was great fresh hay and nice cool fresh water.  That was when the old man introduced me to a younger horse named Herbie.  He told me that Herbie also lived there and Herbie told me that he would be with me forever and that I should never worry about anything.

My feet finally grew back and the hair of my coat came back and Herbie and the old man would walk with me every day to get my body back in shape. After a while I was back to feeling like I was a young horse again and life was really getting good.

Then one night Herbie and I were walking in the dark through the trees when Herbie spooked at the sound of a stranger in the trees.  All of a sudden I heard a bang noise and felt a terrible pain in my shoulder.  Herbie ran real fast to get the old man who came running and the old man pointed something and I heard another loud bang and then a scream from that stranger.  That old man real quick was off and came back and not long after that my favorite Doctor was there along with that Deputy Sheriff.  Then some other people came and they took that stranger away but the old man and the Doctor were busy with me.  They held me and got me to my stall and the Doctor gave me medicine and said I would be better.

As time went by the old man introduced me to many new people and I made a lot of friends.  One couple would drive all the way down here from Pa. to help trim my feet and brush my coat.

Now I am getting older and I cant get around as good but that old man and my favorite doctor tell me not to worry and that they have already been to college so they have no reason to ever leave me.  But, as I write this I want everyone to know that I may be old but there is still a lot of things for me to enjoy.  I love to stand next to my personal old man and munch on my food as he sits there drinking his coffee.  I love to stand under the big tree and watch the birds and squirrels as they play.  Most of all I love to watch as the two kids, Ogelita and Thor, chase each other and argue over who is getting the most food today.

I look back at the day that the little girl and her mother came by to see me they said.  But, the old man explained things to me.  What they came by for was that after several years that they thought that the old man should buy me from them.  I could hear them talking and that little girl told the old man that she would be willing to sell me to him for $400. and he told them that if they would pay him the money for the doctor bills that he would consider it but that they could get off his property and stay off.  While they were here, my best friend Herbie, who is smarter about people and who to trust than me, stayed between me and the little girl and her mother.  He said anyone who would mistreat me like they did should never be allowed to ever be near a trusting horse at any time.  Anyway, I have learned a lot from Herbie.  He said that there are some humans that will be your friend and family for your lifetime and there are some that only like you when you are young and they can brag about you.  He has explained to me that there are humans that only want a horse for as long as that horse makes them look good and then there are humans like our personal old man that just want to be our family forever.

So, after reading this, I hope that it will make you decide to be the family that your horse loves and wants to grow old with.  If you don’t want us to be your family forever then please let us find our very own old man that will be our family forever.


Thank you,

Cheyenne (The Wonder Horse)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: